Phelps Health and the Delbert Day Cancer Institute (DDCI) are part of the Siteman Cancer Network, an affiliation led by Siteman Cancer Center at Barnes-Jewish Hospital and Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis.
The Siteman Cancer Network is committed to improving the health and well-being of people and communities by expanding access to cancer research, treatment and prevention initiatives.
The Phelps Health DDCI is the second healthcare facility to join this network.
Through this partnership, patients in south-central Missouri with complex cases or rare types of cancer will have greater access to highly specialized care and treatments offered at Siteman Cancer Center.
Key components of the network affiliation include:
- Navigators to help patients coordinate access to highly specialized care for complex cases, including access to clinical trials, at Siteman Cancer Center.
- Use of genomic and genetic testing to help identify personalized treatments based on the characteristics of a patient’s disease.
- Development of a database that incorporates such information (with patients’ permission) to improve clinical care and patient outcomes.
- Sharing of best practices to improve patient care. Examples include sharing details regarding how nurses and radiation therapists are trained to care for oncology patients, and implementing industry-approved guidelines for screenings, genetic counseling programs and post-treatment care.
- Implementation of cancer prevention strategies, such as the use of interactive risk-assessment tools, e-books, videos and individual coaching.
- Development of targeted interventions to reduce cancer risk and of evaluation tools to measure success.
As partners in this network, Siteman and Phelps Health are working together on strategies to better control the spread of cancer, reduce the burdens of cancer on patients and their loved ones and increase the number of patients screened for cancer, all of which will help lead to earlier detection and healthier outcomes in the community.
To learn more about this partnership, watch our video.