Phelps Health has partnered with SOC Telemed to offer emergency and inpatient TeleNeurology services to patients in south-central Missouri.
TeleNeurology is a branch of telemedicine where neurological consultations are offered to patients by a remote neurologist (from SOC Telemed) using modern communications technology, such as videoconferencing.
This service allows Phelps Health to treat more patients with a variety of neurological conditions, so patients will not have to travel long distances for care.
How Does a TeleNeurology Consultation Work?
- Phelps Health care staff requests a TeleNeurology consultation (teleconsultation) from SOC Telemed. A teleconsultation is an interaction between doctors, or between doctors and patients, using an electronic connection, such as a video link or phone call.
- SOC Telemed assigns the teleconsultation to an available board-certified neurologist who has been approved to practice at Phelps Health.
- With Phelps Health care staff, the SOC Telemed neurologist performs a teleconsultation assessment of patients using videoconferencing and/or a phone call.
- The SOC Telemed neurologist provides a diagnosis and treatment recommendation(s) based on the teleconsultation assessment to the Phelps Health clinical staff.
- Patients receive treatment from their local physicians and clinical staff based on the diagnosis and recommendation provided in part by the SOC Telemed neurologist.