The cancer services team at the Phelps Health Delbert Day Cancer Institute (DDCI) provides additional support services that work together with exceptional oncologists, surgeons, radiologists, physicians, nurse practitioners and pathologists.
A cancer diagnosis is life-changing, and the cancer services team at Phelps Health is here to provide the much-needed support and resources during patients’ journeys – from screening, to diagnosis, to treatment and into survivorship.
The Phelps Health Delbert Day Cancer Institute offers the following cancer support services:
Oncology Nurse Navigator
- Personal guidance through the complex journey of cancer treatment
- Patient advocate who helps address individual needs and barriers to cancer care
- Connects individuals with resources to address barriers to cancer care
- Provides additional explanation for patients to ensure understanding of individualized oncology treatment plans
- Assists with care coordination through other departments and facilities
Nutrition Support Services
- Provides techniques for coping with side effects of cancer treatments
- Provides information about nutritional supplements
- Provides information on complementary nutritional therapy
- Assists with weight loss prevention
- Provides general nutritional counseling during treatment and recovery
- Provides information on reducing cancer risk with healthy lifestyle tips
Social Work Support
- Assistance with accessing financial, educational and community resources
- Assistance with accessing support groups
- Counseling to reduce stress/anxiety
- Education and assistance in completing the Durable Power of Attorney for healthcare and healthcare directives
- Assistance with transportation needs
Financial Navigation Services
- Enrollment assistance with Medicare (including Parts A, B, C, D and Medicare supplements)
- Enrollment assistance with the Affordable Care Act Missouri Health Insurance Marketplace and secondary insurance(s)
- Guidance/enrollment assistance in federal or state health insurance coverage and/or programs
- Assistance with questions specific to active health insurance coverage benefits, including billing or payment concerns
- Assistance with applying for copayment assistance and copay reimbursement programs to reduce out-of-pocket medication costs
Cancer poses many challenges for patients and their families. The DDCI recommends the following cancer support organizations. We encourage patients to visit the links below to learn more about local meeting and educational opportunities:
4th Angel (Patients and caregivers are matched with trained volunteers)
American Cancer Society (ACS)
(800) 227-2345 (The ACS offers a 24/7 cancer helpline)
Cancer Support Community
(314) 238-2000 (Based out of St. Louis)
Project Win (For Dent County residents)
Lung Cancer Support Line
Email (For financial assistance, lodging or transportation to/from medical appointments)
Define Your Shine
- Define Your Shine is a free program open to all cancer patients in the community. In this class, participants will learn about ways to manage side effects related to their appearance from cancer treatments.
- Class topics include tips for makeup, skin care, wigs, head coverings and more.
- Classes are held on the first Monday of each month. Attendees will receive a complimentary kit filled with beauty and skin care products to help them look and feel their best.
- Please remember the Define Your Shine program is nonmedical, which means participants will need to discuss any medical questions or concerns, such as potential product reactions or skin irritations, with their healthcare provider.